e-Commerce project

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
The question is not clear, which developer would prefer a closed-source project? I believe no one

It would be a project of exceptional value
Both from an educational point of view and from the point of view of practical use
Allowing the connection of the classic management software with 'your' e-commerce would be a truly unmissable possibility for any developer
However, it seems like a project of significant dimensions, and therefore managing to contain the contribution required to reach the widest possible audience is, I believe, a fairly difficult issue.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The question is not clear, which developer would prefer a closed-source project? I believe no one
Open source projects which I already created a lot so far doesn't seem any lights...
I usually see members are more preferring to purchase closed source projects at low price.

It would be a project of exceptional value
That's why I want to know what kind of project that members are looking for.

Both from an educational point of view and from the point of view of practical use
Judging the Pros and Cons, does this kind of project worth to start?

Allowing the connection of the classic management software with 'your' e-commerce would be a truly unmissable possibility for any developer
I don't get it.
I just wish to see B4X can evolve as a more popular choice language that can be used in real world project.

However, it seems like a project of significant dimensions, and therefore managing to contain the contribution required to reach the widest possible audience is, I believe, a fairly difficult issue.
The problem I see in B4X community is low interest for collaboration in open source projects.

Maybe difficult to find members having the common interest.
Maybe most members don't understand the concept of open source.
Maybe due to level of skill.
I really don't know.

At the end, the author just maintain the project himself alone. It doesn't grow.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If your marketplace is B4X, your customers are B4X members, obviously it is better for it to be open source, as they are programmers and want to both have examples and be able to modify them.

If the target is different, "real customers"... they will not want unknown software, created by a single programmer

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If the target is different, "real customers"... they will not want unknown software, created by a single programmer
I think this is depends. Some real customers are not IT savvy so they don't know or care what the technologies behind it. As how we promote our B4X product, we can just say that we are using Java and other technologies such as HTML and JavaScript.

obviously it is better for it to be open source
I have to accept it that open source projects sometimes really depends on luck. If it gains interest then it will grow, otherwise it will not going anywhere.

byz

Licensed User
Your aim is to promote b4x. Let me talk about my ideas.
First, open-source is an important avenue for replication, especially without financial support.
Secondly, what are the main groups of people to promote? You need a place with a large target population. GitHub or Training?
Finally, Write an attractive profile. Be sure to note specifically before using b4x development, and benefits. I think vb vba vbnet vbs and newbies are the target group.
In general, your ideas are all right. The key point is to spread them out. The focus is on promotion.

zed

Licensed User
An Open Source project to promote B4X is a great idea.
But I don't think this project should be done for B4X members.
It should rather be made for developers who do not yet know B4X.
I'm thinking of tools that any developer would need to improve their project.
For example a CSS editor for JavaFX would be useful even for those who do not yet use B4X.
If they want to modify the tools created in B4X, they will have no other option than to turn to this wonderful language.

zed

Licensed User
In truth, I think this idea is really very good.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
An Open Source project to promote B4X is a great idea.
But it is not working.

But I don't think this project should be done for B4X members.
I never limit the project to B4X members.

It should rather be made for developers who do not yet know B4X.
No, it is made to show off to both developers who are new to B4X and existing B4X developers who doesn't realize the potential of B4X.

I'm thinking of tools that any developer would need to improve their project.
Good.
I think we have some already but it is always never enough. More tools is better of course.

For example a CSS editor for JavaFX would be useful even for those who do not yet use B4X.
Hmm... This will be limited for B4J project but why not? I am not a good designer for B4J apps and it may come useful for me too.

If they want to modify the tools created in B4X, they will have no other option than to turn to this wonderful language.
You mean this is a strategy to promote B4X right?
Back to my topic, I also thinking to use B4J server as the backend for the web app project. So developers who want to use my project need to learn B4X in order to use the backend.

Last edited:

zed

Licensed User
Back to my topic, I also thinking to use B4J server as the backend for the web app project.
Indeed, it is a strategy to promote B4X.
But your B4JServer Backend project is a great way to get there.
I'll develop the idea and come back later. Today I don't have time anymore

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Indeed, it is a strategy to promote B4X.
But your B4JServer Backend project is a great way to get there.
I'll develop the idea and come back later. Today I don't have time anymore
Good to have more ideas, especially to promote B4X.
Unfortunately I feel not many people are interested to my projects, e.g Web API Server.

No need to rush.
First, share the ideas. See anyone else are interested and share their opinion whether it is a feasible project.

I actually have some other ideas too. This e-commerce is just one of the item in my To-Do list.

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
What is the above sentence mean?
What connection? what classic management software?
I meant to say that each of us, within this forum, will certainly have our own system for maintaining administration, customer and supplier records, some even accounting, etc...
Well, by 'management' I meant the set of software procedures that each of us is already using
And which could be connected with an e-commerce if the latter were an open and documented system

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I meant to say that each of us, within this forum, will certainly have our own system for maintaining administration, customer and supplier records, some even accounting, etc...
Well, by 'management' I meant the set of software procedures that each of us is already using
And which could be connected with an e-commerce if the latter were an open and documented system
If I understand correctly, you mean the ability or possibility of integrations.
With the database being used and availability of API, I don't see it is difficult.

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
If I understand correctly, you mean the ability or possibility of integrations.
With the database being used and availability of API, I don't see it is difficult.

Actually having Api to exploit is already a step beyond the 'minimum sufficient'
Where by 'minimum sufficient' I mean the possibility of accessing the database via the ODBC driver to read/write information
And obviously the documentation that describes the data flow
I mean, if we have to add a customer record from the management system, we need to know which ones these are the minimum information to be set on the db, the same for category, currency, etc...

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Actually having Api to exploit is already a step beyond the 'minimum sufficient'
Where by 'minimum sufficient' I mean the possibility of accessing the database via the ODBC driver to read/write information
And obviously the documentation that describes the data flow
I mean, if we have to add a customer record from the management system, we need to know which ones these are the minimum information to be set on the db, the same for category, currency, etc...
If I am going to summarize (tl;dr) I think you mean Documentation is very important. I agree. but it does cost time.